BSRD 50th Anniversary Meeting
Preservation, Restoration, Inspiration - 50 years of the BSRD
Friday 18th May & Saturday 19th May 2018
Waterfront Hilton Hotel, Belfast
Welcome to the British Society for Restorative Dentistry's 50th Anniversary Spring Scientific Meeting which will be held in Belfast's Waterfront Hilton Hotel, on Friday 18th and Saturday 19th May 2018. I am delighted to invite you to what I feel will be an exciting and clinically relevant conference with an outstanding group of speakers.
BSRD Conference Dinners are always a bit special, but for our 50th one, we will be in the Titanic Building, voted 2016 world's best tourist attraction. It is going to be held in the Titanic Suite, with a replica of the original ship's staircase, possibly the place for the ultimate selfie? Our BSRD golf tournament is on Friday morning and will be held at Royal Belfast Golf club, the oldest in Ireland.
Our speakers are:
- Emeritus Professor Carlo Marinello is our invited European presenter. He is a past President of the American Prosthodontic Society and was full time Professor and Chairman of Reconstructive Dentistry and TMD disorders at the University of Basle Dental School in Switzerland for 20 years. Carlo will give two presentations on: Fixed and Removable Prosthodontic including his experiences with Digital Dental Technology.
- Peter Briggs is Interim Dental Dean for London, a Consultant in Restorative Dentistry at the Royal London Dental Hospital and a Specialist Practitioner at Hodsall House in Kent. He is always an insightful and thought provoking speaker and his topic will be: The Future Dental Workforce : thinking ahead.
- Shakeel Shahdad is also a Consultant in Restorative Dentistry at the Royal London Dental Hospital, Lead for postgraduate Implant Training and runs a multi-specialist referral practice in London's West End. An exciting and inspiring clinician and presenter, his topic is: The Digital Revolution: Inspiring Implant Restorations.
- Martin Kelleher is a past President of the BSRD, a Consultant in Restorative Dentistry at King's College Dental Hospital and a Specialist Practitioner in Bromley. He is an acknowledged expert in the areas of dento-legal opinion and tooth whitening and I believe he is certainly one of the UK'S most enthusiast, entertaining and experienced speakers. His topic is: - Smarter solutions based on bitter experiences.
- Mr Chris Butterworth is a leading Consultant in Maxillo-Facial Prosthodontics, based at the University Hospital Aintree which is one of the largest Head and Neck Cancer Centres in Europe. Chris has huge experience and a national reputation in the prosthetic rehabilitation of oral cancer patients. He was awarded the prestigious award for best Oral and Clinical Research Presentation at the Academy of Osseointegration in 2017. His topics are: The patient's journey after a diagnosis of Oral Cancer and Implant based rehabilitation in the management of Maxillary and Mid-face malignancy.
- Brid Hendron is Postgraduate Dental Dean for Northern Ireland, a qualified NLP trainer and Communication Coach. She was the co-author of BDJ articles on the ever more relevant subject of Stress in Dentistry. Her presentation is titled: Preserving Self - Restoring Balance. Stress in Dentistry, can we define it, and modulate or eliminate it?
- This year I felt that it was very important to have an input from our Dental Technician colleagues and we are looking forward to a Ted Talk style presentation from Steve Campbell, the President of the UK Dental Laboratory Association and MD of Nexus Dental Lab; and Ashley Byrne, MD of Byrnes Dental Laboratory. They will speak on: Restoring Dental Implants: What does digital offer?
I believe that the BSRD is a very relevant organisation for any of us who practice Restorative Dentistry and it is also a friendly and welcoming society.
Derrick Setchell dispatched me to my first meeting in 1987, remarking that I might learn something! Since then I have enjoyed many meetings and I really would encourage you to join us in Belfast in May 2018 for what I am sure will be a memorable weekend.
BSRD incoming President 2018-2019