Louis Kramer graduated in 1950 at Liverpool University and was then conscripted into the Royal Army Dental Corp from '51-53. In 1954 he set up a practice in Southport and went back to Liverpool dental Hospital in 1952, working mostly in the oral surgery department. He joined the cons staff there on a part time basis in 1962 eventually becoming Dean of post graduate studies and dental advisor for the Mersey region in 1992. Louis retired from the dental hospital in 1998 and reluctantly from general practice a couple of years later.
Peripheral to clinical dentistry Louis served on his local executive council and was BDA branch president in 1973, as well as being chairman of the Liverpool Odontological Society from time to time. In 1979 he was in the first cohort to obtain an MGDS from the RCS and served on the Nuffield Committee looking into dental education in 1980, subsequently becoming a fellow of the FGDP of the RCS. In 1985 Louis became an elected member of the GDC and maintained that role until 2002 as well as being President of the BSRD in 1992. Following his retirement Louis was appointed chairman of the conduct committee and trustee of the British Pyschological Society serving until 2010.